Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wig Night

Thursday is Wig Night
I can hardly wait!!! This Thursday, June 22nd at the WeHo SnB, we're having WIG NIGHT!!! This was Natalie's idea of course. She always comes up with fun ideas for our group. Last year Natalie instigated TIKI NIGHT. It was great...see photo of the Princess Hula Girl. Who knows what types of wigs people will wear? There are so many possibilites. You could go the safe route (which I will probably do) and just change-up your look slightly...same color, longer or shorter hair. You could go nuts and wear one of those neon wigs like the photo above. You could totally wear a shaved head or a fright/horror wig.
I've owned a few wigs in my time. In the late 60's we all wanted to look like Cher. So, I bought a fall. This was a long hunk o' hair that I secured under my pixie band to simulate Cher's long tresses. I suppose today, girls would get hair extensions for a similar effect. We thought we were so cool, swishing our long hair around our shoulders in the Cher manner. At prom time, I had that same fall coiffed into a cascade of curls that I plopped on top of my ponytail for a beauty queen look. I also added some daisies and side corkscrew curls for extra elegance. During the years I was playing around with my fall, my Mom bought herself a 'postiche.' This was essentially a toupee for women. Mom plopped this extra little topknot on her already poofed up Barbie-like bouffant hair-do for added fabulousness. Of course, Mom's hair was orange at the time. Maybe that's why I have this affinity toward orange?
During the mid-70's the shag hairstyle was in. The shag was typically short around the face and ears, long in back....think David Cassidy during his Partridge Family years. I didn't need any extra help for that one. My wavy hair was perfect for this style. A few years later, permed hair was popular. I did purchase a curly fall to add fullness to my already chemically damaged hair-don't.
My wig days were over by the late 80's, until around 1994 when I decided to give my damaged and thinning hair a break. I bought a wig that looks just like my current hair-do. Mr. Larry calls it my Austin Powers wig. It's basically Buster Brown bangs with a short shag length. The texture of the wig looks totally fake during the daytime, but it works at night. Larry has borrowed this wig for costume parties. The minute he puts it on, he automatically has this Cockney accent, Baby!
I was surfing the net for some wig ideas and came upon these photos....Check out these, this one and this one . See you on Thursday at the Original Farmers Market, upstairs dining area from 7-9pm, looking fabulous and wigged-out!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:47 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

OOOOH!!! I love that David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust red one!!!

 
At 1:23 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

I can't wait! You are gonna love my topper for the event and I am bringing more cupcakes with little wigs on top made out of cat fur! LOL okay no fur.

 
At 1:37 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Thanks for reminding me...

 
At 9:50 AM PDT, Blogger Sachi said...

OMG, I'm so glad you posted about this! I would have been the only idiot without a wig.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery