Thursday, September 28, 2006

Beige Food - Yum

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Roscoe's Repast

We love BEIGE FOOD. By beige food, we mean food that has nothing green in it, is devoid of any other color except yellow, tan and beige, is usually starchy, fried, has lots of flour or sugar in it and is consequently delicious, but not really good for you.
One of the best places for delicious beige food is Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. I recently visited the Altadena branch with my friend Beth.
Beth ordered the Sir Michael which is 1/4 chix, smothered in gravy and onions with grits and a fluffy biscuit. I ordered the Scoe-1 which is 1/4 chix prepared southern style with gravy and onions and with 2 waffles. We figured we should order a side of greens, just to make lunch healthier. Oy!
Lunch was particularly yummy. However, the greens were rather salty, leading us to believe that beige food should not be infiltrated with anything green no matter what!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Beth's Meal

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ellen's Meal

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lake Avenue, Altadena

I have been known to prepare some beige food meals myself. Below is a recent meal of fishsticks, mashed potatoes and yellow squash. I hadn't gone to the market in awhile and had to improvise, please. This does not really count as a total beige meal because of the addition of yellow squash and the green salad on the side. It is delightfully mono-chromatic however.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Homemade Beige Food with Fiber

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 4:19 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

hee, hee. I likee the beige food, too. Ironically enough, I went to a local speakeasy last nite (can't remember the name, but it's across the street from Michael's in SM) and they offered free bbq + waffles.

Fortunately, I was much too interested in the martoonies to partake.

 
At 4:38 PM PDT, Blogger Uccellina said...

I've never been to Roscoes. Damn Husband's high cholesterol! I've gotta sneak off there with friends sometime.

 
At 4:56 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Cory,
My preferred chicken and waffles is at Pann's on La Cienega and La Tijera in Ladera Hts. Everyone raves about Roscoe's. It's good, but Pann's chicken and waffles are more to my liking! Give it a try! Hi-Cholesterol Hubby can have a chef's salad at Pann's!

 
At 5:01 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

That's our favorite Roscoe's! We even have been known to take extra special out-of-town friends there. And thanks for the Pann's tip...I've never met a waffle I didn't like.

 
At 5:51 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I actually just salivated thinking about Roscoe's. I feel like Homer Simpson.

I also love how none of the food on your plate is touching.

 
At 7:45 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

I keep looking for a Tabasco Bottle....

 
At 8:27 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

MMmmm I could eat chicken again and just thinking of how wrong but tastes soo right, Roscoe's is NOW I wanna try Pann's.
Of course you would add color and fiber to your food!

 
At 9:32 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

I have never been to Roscoe's but have always wanted to go. Crazy thing is I just live about 10 minutes away! I love your food pictures, and dang girl! you go to a lot of places all the time! What a life.

 
At 11:09 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thrilled there are other beige food lovers! My husband has the oposite palate. Everything too spicy. So it's great to know someone else appreciates the bland.
My dream meal:
Clam Chowder
Roast Chicken
Macaroni and Cheese
Mashed Potatoes
Fresh French bread and butter
lots of cheese.
Profiteroles and coffee ice cream

 
At 12:57 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great concept -- beige food. I love it, too. When I was in Texas, I was in heaven because they pour that white gravy over everything! The photos you took of these meals, wow!

 
At 1:42 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had fish sticks in years! Those used to be my favorites. Are those homemade or made by your friend Mrs. Pauls?

 
At 10:52 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Nicola!

Now, I've been to 3 Roscoe's. They're all the same...usually in an old coffee shop, remodeled; same great food; same clientele; the service is better at the Hollywood and Altadena places.

 
At 10:44 AM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

I *heart* Roscoe's. My heart does not *heart* it though. LOL Nothing like clogged arteries to attest to a lifetime of fun with food!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery