Monday, November 13, 2006

L.A. Eyeworks Sale - 2006

It was so hot and sunny, that L.A. Eyeworks
handed out parasols for their clients in line
Every year L.A. Eyeworks on Melrose in West Hollywood has a faboo eyeglass frame sale. Their designs are wonderfully different than the ones you'll see in your local LensCrafter, that's for sure!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Since I started wearing glasses, about 10 years ago, I have considered them a fashion accessory. By treating eyeglasses like jewelry, it doesn't seem so difficult to accept the fact that I'm getting old and can't see the small print in the L.A. Weekly anymore without help. The frames are really discounted. You can find $300 frames for $95; $225 frames for $55; $150 frames for $25, etc. Such a bargain!
Larry went to the sale when it started on Friday morning and picked up a couple of pairs. Larry has been wearing eyeglasses since he was 9 years old, so he's a real pro at choosing just the right frame. He's also kinda' hard on his glasses, so he requires multiple frames. He saw our friend Christian in line. We usually see at least a few people we know at the sale.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Christian M.

Eventually, by the end of a shopping session at L.A. Eyeworks, you've made lots of new four-eyed friends. Everyone is squeezing in front of the mirror to see how they look and asking others how they look. This year, Larry took his digi-cam and took photos of some patrons while they were trying on frames. Then, after they'd put on their REAL glasses, they looked at his digi-pix so they could see how they looked in the new frames. Larry likes to perform this public service.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Gay and her faboo frames!
Larry accompanied me to the sale after work on Friday. It's best to go during the dinner hour when the store isn't so crowded. We did have a fun time trying on glasses. One of the owners of L.A. Eyeworks, Gay, had on this fabulous pair of pink and red eyeglasses. I had to try on a similar pair. Of course, I bought them and a few more pairs.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After the frenzy of eyeglass shopping, we zoomed over to Canter's Deli on Fairfax for dinner. You can read about our dinner here. Thanks to Larry Underhill for his photos of this event!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Telephone Wire Art Over Melrose Avenue

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 4:47 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen --

You are such a hoot! We have that same telephone wire art by my house at Westwood & Santa Monica.

I had planned to come to FM on Sat but got a nasty cold last week while I was on vacation! How cruel is that?

Enjoy your blog always.

-- Jo Anne

 
At 4:51 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen!

You look sooo cute in all of those different glasses. Did you buy them all?

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 4:52 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Judy,

No, I didn't purchase ALL of the frames pictured. I bought 2 pairs on Friday and then I went back on Sunday and bought one more pair. Yes, in addition to being a yarn-a-holic, I'm an eyeglass-a-holic!

Ellen B.

 
At 4:54 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Reddy-Pinky ones. You look great and your blog is great.

 
At 5:33 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I love your variety and pizzazz of glasses. Why does Mr. Larry insist on being so danged conservative?! But it IS nice of him to perform his public service.

AND, what is it with the birds on the wire? I've seen them east (Eagle Rock) and west (brentwood). And I don't know what they mean. :(

 
At 7:55 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

J'adore! J'adore!

You guys tried some great frames. But, um, doesn't Larry already have that last pair? When is he gonna get himself some "bitch is back" Elton 70s frames and go all out? Kidding. Kidding.

By the way, you look supercute in all of them.

I do believe I'll see you Thursday.

 
At 9:39 PM PST, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

You look maahvelous! Oh, great sale :) I stayed away this year as I still haven't had the need for the frames I had to have...but the paper is slowly moving away from me...

 
At 10:08 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About eyeglasses: Ellen, you are so amazing with all your gorgeous eyeglasses. I wish I had the bucks to invest in such a wonderful collection. But, like Mr. Larry, I tend to stick with what I know best. Although I have to say, Mr. Larry certainly does know how to maintain a cool 'tude.

About birds on wires: Check out this link to an article in the current City Beat, all about the birds on a wire phenomenom. Scroll down, it's under heading "Street Art". I love the opening line..."Sneakers are so last summer".

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=4594&IssueNum=179

 
At 4:03 PM PDT, Blogger Lizzy poo said...

Ellen and Christine. I bought 2 'Berds'! They are flying in my backyard.

Liz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery