Thursday, November 08, 2007

Public Art in Our Town

Culver City Post Office
I love walking around Los Angeles and noticing public art that I'd never noticed before. Much public art in our beautiful City is hidden in the lobbies of buildings, on ceilings in out-of-the-way parks, etc.

Last week, Larry and I were having lunch in downtown Culver City. Larry often photographs historically significant buildings for the Los Angeles Conservancy, so he is an excellent source of public art and hidden treasures in the L.A. area. After lunch, while we were walking back to the car, Larry mentioned that there was a WPA-era mural in the Culver City Post Office at 9942 Culver Blvd. (near Sepulveda). We walked inside. Surprisingly, in this era of online shipping there was a long line of people waiting to buy stamps and ship packages. I suppose, since this branch is near Sony Studios, they get lots of walk-in business.

Up on the wall at the west end of the building is a lovely mural. I did a little online research and found out that the artist of the mural "Studio Lot" is George Euregy Samerjan. The mural was painted in 1941. It's an impressionistic view of empty movie sets on a backlot. When this mural was painted, MGM (now Sony Studios) was right around the corner.

I really enjoy exploring the City and finding little gems like this mural in an everyday location. What L.A. area places have you discovered lately?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:10 PM PST, Blogger mj said...

I used to live around the corner from the post office in Culver City and that mural is one of my favorite memories. That and Versailles!!

 
At 7:00 AM PST, Blogger Faith said...

Wow Ellen that mural is brilliant. Thank you!

faith

 
At 9:24 AM PST, Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Wow, I never knew that it was a WPA era mural - that's my post office! I just never really paid any attention to it.

 
At 8:43 PM PST, Blogger mehitabel said...

I drove by the Alhambra Post Office the other day, and they have painted an entire wall (and it's HUGE) with a big USPS-themed mural. I guess I need to go back there and get a photo for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery