Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Taiyo

I bought this incredibly beautiful yarn a couple of weeks ago when I was gettin' my knit-on with the Eastside Girls. It's called "Taiyo" by Noro (40% cotton, 30% silk, 15% wool, 15% nylon, 220 yards per 100-gram ball, 3 stitches per inch on a US 10 needle. approx. $16 per skein). I just love Noro's colorways. Striping is my fave to combat knit-boredom. I only bought one skein, 220 yards per skein. I just couldn't figure out what to do with it. I started swatching. It didn't look good cabled. Too much silk, not enough bounce for cables. It didn't look good crocheted. Besides, crochet uses up one-third more yarn than knitting, so I didn't want to minimize the yardage of this expensive yarn.

What should I make? Another scarf. Yawn. A hat? Use it in combination with another yarn for a shawl? After trying tons and tons of stitch patterns, I ended up using a version of Crazy Auntie's Magic Scarf pattern. My pattern is Knit 4, Purl 4 for 4 rows, then reverse. This makes a nice basketweave-type stitch. You can see the texture of the silk on size 8 needles too. OK, another scarf for the prospective gift duffel.
Larry and I are going to San Francisco this weekend for our anniversary! Woo Hoo! We've been married 16 years. We didn't do anything momentous for last year's anniversary, so we decided to actually go on an airplane somewhere. We've been up North recently, but haven't been into the City for ages. Can't wait to get over to Art Fibers!
Afterthought: I must crochet up a fast hat with earflaps to combat the SF cold weather snap!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2:33 PM PST, Blogger jenna! said...

That pattern is one of my favorites though I must admit that I have been looking for a way to *jazz* it up.

I just love the Noro striping and colors you have going there. Very pretty, great for a gift!

 
At 3:51 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to the cutest couple!! Have fun in S.F.

Christine G.

 
At 7:14 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

check store hours for Art Fibers....they will be closing
for weekends in March.

 
At 11:11 AM PST, Blogger justclaire said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you both have a wonderful time in San Francisco. It's one of my favourite cities in the whole world.

Love the Noro Scarf. Very pretty.

 
At 3:41 PM PST, Blogger Madge said...

Pretty, pretty Noro.

 
At 8:15 PM PST, Anonymous christian music said...

Oh so pretty, love how the colors fade into each other..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery