Monday, July 14, 2008

VACATION


IBM Selectric Typewriter
I'm officially on vacation! Over the weekend we stayed close to home at night, watching the first season of "Mad Men." Everyone has been raving about the show. It's just OK....kinda' dark, but interesting characters if you can get past all of the politically incorrectness of it all. ALSO, I'm a stickler for putting the right props for the time period in a production. It's supposed to be 1960. All of the secretaries in the "Mad Men" office are using long carriage Selectric typewriters. I happen to know that most offices were still using manual typewriters or electric typewriters with moving carriages at the time. The Selectric with the golf ball element didn't come in until 1961 and it was a short platen, 12 inches, not a long one of 16 inches. I'm sure that the prop people just couldn't put their hands on a ton of old electric typewriters from that era for the shoot. They explained it away in the script by saying that "these are the latest in technology....no one else has them yet." Yeah, right.
On Saturday morning I went to our once-a-month Stitch & Bitch at the Original Farmers Market. We had about 8-10 people present. It was fun. I had a pre-b-day lunch with some of my cousins after that. After hangin' with them for awhile at The Grove, I double-SnB'd it and went down to the HomeGirl Cafe to sit and knit a bit. I just love that place. It's lively, the food is good, easy parking and it's air-conditioned. One of the reporters from the Downtown L.A. Town Crier interviewed a few of us and took some photos of the group.
Sunday was a quiet day too. We went to our fave coffeeshop, Pann's, for breakfast then to a neighbor's get together in the afternoon.
Today, I met up with the knitters in Montrose and finished the body of my February Lady Sweater, Lipstick Colorway. I'm on my way to the sleeves!

The body of the FLS is now complete! This photo was from last Thursday
Tomorrow morning I'm leaving town for a few days of rest and relaxation in the pine-tree, mountain village of Idyllwild. I'll be sure and take plenty of photos!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 6:28 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

woohoo vacation time. sounds like you are off to a terrific start. Enjoy the pine trees & can't wait to see more of that FLS.

 
At 9:58 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

so fun seeing you today! Your FLS is coming along nicely and I can't wait to feel it all softened up. Have fun in idyllwild. I thought the IBM selectric came later than 1961 but how would I know? I came after 1961. I loved typing with that golf ball selectric.

 
At 1:15 AM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

The sweater's looking gorgeous! Hope you have a restful relaxing time in Idyllwild. We're off ourselves for a few days on Thursday. We're escaping to the Yorkshire Dales for some peace and quiet away from the madness of London. Yay for vacations!

 
At 10:16 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Are ya cranking the Go-Gos?! Happy vacation!

And thanks for playing with us yesterday. So much fun.

xo

 
At 3:27 PM PDT, Blogger ~ Phyllis ~ said...

Love the sweater. Pretty color

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery