Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kevin's Perky Turkey Sugar Cookies
Happy pre-Thanksgiving to all! I hope you have a marvelous, stress-free day tomorrow. Ours will be extremely easy. My Auntie Mae is hosting the entire family for a lovely 4-course meal at the Napa Valley Grill in Westwood Village. Woo Hoo!!!
HOWEVER, if you do want to contribute to the Thanksgiving feast, you can bake Kevin's easy Perky Turkey Sugar Cookies, pictured above. Last week we had a progressive Thanksgiving lunch at my office. Everyone brought a dish.
Here's my interpretation of Kevin's recipe:
Get some of that Pillsbury Sugar Cookie dough in the deli aisle of your supermarket...you know, the kind you slice down. In the cake section, pick up some squeezable cake frosting in white, orange and black. You'll find candy corn in the candy aisle. Bake the cookies according to package directions. Smoosh a bit of white frosting on the top curve of the cookie, smash in the candy corns. Draw in the eyes, beak and turkey gobbler neck with the proper color of frosting! Done! Proudly serve your Perky Turkey Sugar Cookies!
Another marvy recipe gleaned from a co-worker is Jelled Cranberry Mold. Rochelle brought this divine dish. As you can see by the photo below, I liked it alot.
Office Progressive T-Giving Luncheon
Rochelle's Jelled Cranberry Mold
1 large box cherry Jello
1 can whole cranberry sauce
1 can crushed pineapple (blue can with syrup)
1 cup chopped walnuts
Dissolve the Jello in 2 cups boiling (or very hot) water. Add all the other ingredients, mix well and chill...that's it!
Rochelle's tip: She usually switches bowls after dissolving the Jello since it leaves a grainy coating on the bowl. Next, she adds the cranberry sauce and uses a fork or spoon to really mash it up well (so you don't get chunks of cranberry sauce)...then the crushed pineapple and lastly the nuts.
The only bad thing about eating out for Thanksgiving is that there are no leftovers! I love these recipes so much, that I'll probably whip them up this weekend, along with a turkey breast, some yams, stuffing and creamed peas with onions for my sweetie pie!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:50 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen!

I am soooo baking those cookies for tomorrow. They're adorable! Thanks for the easy recipe.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 2:52 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Yer a nut. :) Happy Turkey Day.

 
At 3:23 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Ellen, Jello molds are the best! My grandmother always had one at Thanksgiving. It was layered. First the red layer (strawberry?) was mixed with finely chopped waldorf salad fixins (nuts, apples, celery), then a thin layer of cream cheese thinned with mayo was spread, then a layer of clear green jello (lime?). It's not until I was an adult that I made the guess that maybe it was her nod of the hat to our Mexican heritage (she was my Mexican grandmother and the only one I really knew).

Happy Thanksgiving to you two sweeties!
Christine G.

 
At 12:23 AM PST, Blogger justclaire said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ellen! I hope you and your family have a lovely day :)

 
At 8:27 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love the gobbler cookies and Jello salad always reminds me of my Grandma. She was the queen of jello salads and had several recipes she inflicted upon us during the holidays. I was never a fan as a child but I can appreciate them now.

 
At 12:32 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ellen! Lucky you eating out with family today!

 
At 8:39 PM PST, Blogger betty said...

I tried the Jello salad recipe, and it's great! I halved the ingredients, and I used the crushed pineapple in juice instead of syrup because I think Jello is sweet enough as it is.

Thanks for sharing it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery