Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Best of the Vests

I have many slender friends. It's always quicker and easier knitting and crocheting clothing for these tiny people! I came across this pattern on the Lion Brand site for a granny square vest and really liked it. HOWEVER, I have seen this particular vest ridiculed on a few blogs. I happen to like this pattern. I may not have used the colors designated by the designer, but basically, this pattern rocks. Remember, "granny squares are the building blocks to fashion." I was fooling around with some Noro Kureyon yarn and figured out that if I followed the schematic for this granny square vest I could also utilize a sideways, double crochet pattern and eliminate the need for sewing squares together and weaving in ends.....even quicker! The pattern says that for size small each square is three inches. To get larger squares, the pattern says to increase your hook size. Twelve double crochet stitches equal three inches, using the Kureyon, size "H" crochet hook; four rows equals three inches for my gauge. So, I chained 36 stitches and proceeded from there. The dark color changes, using Noro Kureyon #172 made this vest a striped delight! I added a picot edge and a loop at the neck edge for one button. Perfect birthday gift for my co-worker, Aileen! I will be crocheting more versions of this winning pattern for other slenderellas out there!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 2:19 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooo...pretty and very retro-chic!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 4:51 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Good work and totally groovy, man! I am so hip to your creation.

 
At 6:18 PM PST, Blogger Annette said...

Nice vest! I love the colors.

 
At 9:04 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Love your vest. I'm also liking the granny square vest. My sister found an old strip of granny squares left over from an afghan ( at my mom's and has been wearing it as a scarf, it looks fabulous (the traditional black kind). Its almost got me crocheting :-)

 
At 8:51 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

carry on with the grany square vests!

- note what the naysayer posts as an alternate to the granny vest: "tampon cozies."

(not all opinions should be heeded)

 
At 12:44 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

OH MY GAWD! Fantastic bit of designing there, Little Miz Crochet. It looks stunning on Aileen! Actually, I had to double check and make sure that wasn't a picture of some fancy-schmancy, professionally written/tech checked/produced pattern! Outstanding work!

 
At 2:19 PM PST, Blogger Madge said...

Superb reworking of the pattern, you crochet goddess. Love the Noro stripes!

 
At 7:11 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

I've got nothin' against the original granny square version but I do love your re-design! Very clever and unique!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery