Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Stick a Fork in it!

It's done!
I'm finished with my modified Wendy Bernard "Favorite Cardigan" (Ravelry). I haven't added buttons yet...not sure about that. I may add some toggle buttons. I didn't provide button holes while knitting, but the weave on this sweater is loose, so I could definitely add smallish buttons and just poke them thru the stitches.
I'm very pleased with the results. This is a slightly bulky knit, so not that flattering, but at least it's black and goes with everything. I've been wearing it non-stop during our cool, spring SoCal evenings...not so much during the day.
Specs: "Favorite Cardigan" from "Custom Knits". Mystery acrylic in black tweed, worsted weight. Size 10 Addi-Turbo circular needles. Modifications: I added a collar, made the sleeves longer and ribbed the lower portion of the sleeves. I also made this sweater longer in the torso. I washed the piece in the machine with lots of fabric softener so the ack-rylic would soften up and the sweater would drape nicely. Basically, I followed my usual top-down formula and just used Wendy's pattern as a style jumping-off place. This was a very quick knit. There's something to be said for using fat yarn and chubby needles for speedy project satisfaction!
Other News: Check out the L.A. Times today. Our own Lisa Anne Auerbach had an entire article written about her event coming up at the Hammer Museum tomorrow. It's "Bike Night." Lisa is a bicycle enthusiast and has scheduled a bike ride to the Hammer in Westwood from MelHel (Melrose & Heliotrope, by LACC). There will be a screening of "Breaking Away," along with a visit to the exhibit, cocktails, etc. Congrats on the publicity, Lisa!!
Our knitster group will be meeting at the Hammer this Saturday, April 18th at noon to sit, knit, view the exhibit and ask Lisa questions about her faboo work! Read about it here.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11:51 AM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

It looks great! Definitely perfect for these cool evenings :)

 
At 12:07 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks GREAT on you, Ellen. The cables look good too. Congratulations!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 1:04 PM PDT, Blogger Megalion said...

I love it Ellen!! Makes me want to dig up my tweed stash and make myself one!

 
At 1:31 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Megalion- that made me remember I have some similar tweedy yarn somewhere and I already have that book! Looks really great. Maybe you will have it with you on Saturday? I am planning to come to the event. Debbie (from Fairview Knitters)

 
At 2:08 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Yes, I'll bring it along with me to the Hammer Museum on Saturday. If this weather keeps up, I'll wear it!

 
At 9:37 PM PDT, Blogger Christy T said...

That sweater looks FAB! Looove the yarn with little speckles of color!!!

 
At 9:40 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

Yay, it's done! Looks great and super practical too!

 
At 5:15 AM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

It looks great on you Ellen. Nice job!

 
At 10:25 AM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

Love It!
Ok I need to finish my long languishing CPH and get to knitting other cabled cardie goodness!

 
At 11:35 AM PDT, Anonymous Tstone said...

Wonderful sweater. You are always knitting the patterns that I love too. It's so great to see your stuff and hear about your adventures knitting them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery