Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Repetitive but Colorful

Once again, I'm granny-obsessed. I just can't stop crocheting granny squares. I just finished covering another Trader Joe's bag (tutorial here). I'm almost done sewing the granny square cover to the T.Joe's plastic tote. I LOVE it! It's too cute to use for groceries!!!

What an excellent way to use up ol' ACK-rylic yarn!!!

On another granny-square related note, one of my groups on Ravelry is having a "summer of crochet" challenge. Many of the members are crocheting the Babette Blanket. Some are working up the blanket in Koigu sock yarn (the original pattern calls for this), others are using Noro Kureyon. I decided to keep reducing my stash of worsted weight acrylic. We're all supposed to start our crochet project on June 1st. Hey! It was a long weekend. All that yarn was staring me down. Sue me. I started early.

I was inspired by this blanket! Using Noro Kureyon yarn is an excellent idea, because of the long color runs. You never have to cut your yarn between rounds. HOWEVER, living in Southern California, do I really want a heavy WOOL blanket on my couch? Also, how do you wash a heavy wool blanket? For afghans, I like the ease and practicality of acrylic! Does anyone know of an acrylic yarn with long color runs like Noro Kureyon? Let me know.

I'm really glad to see that granny squares are so popular again. Granny Squares are the building blocks to fashion, you know!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:16 PM PDT, Blogger Christy T said...

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions about my LA trip... I can't wait to visit Wild Fiber, it looks really awesome. I'm loving those Trader Joes bags, I have maybe 4 that are just BEGGING to be covered :)

I'm a big acrylic fan, too... Haven't found anything remotely close to noro, tho. If you find anything, please do share!!!

 
At 8:12 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Oh that tote bag with the smaller squares on top is just taking it to a whole new level. I LOVE it. You are so right aboth granny squares & fashion. (my sister snitched a row of granny squares sewn together out of my mom's project bag this winter and wore it as a scarf, she had several people in DC ask to buy it off her neck. Proof!)

 
At 9:05 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

:) When we see Granny Squares at fashion week, we will all point to you as the instigator, propagator, and head cheerleader!

 
At 7:28 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

I liked the one you had with you at the knitting group. This one looks just as nice.

 
At 6:56 AM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

Ha ha! Was just searching Google Images for "granny square crochet" because I'm obsessed, and on page 3 I thought, That looks familiar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery