Thursday, July 23, 2009

Calendar

Photo from Layer Cake Shop
"Hot town, summer in the city, back of my neck gettin' dirty and gritty..." John Sebastian and the Lovin' Spoonful said it all. It's hot, hot, hot here in Los Angeles. Your best bet is to either stay inside in an air-conditioned environment (movies), next to and inside a swimming pool or go to the beach.
I must be a glutton for punishment, because I won't be doing any of those things to stay cool!
Friday night at the Echoplex in Echo Park, there's a memorial tribute to Sky Saxon. Sky passed away within days of Michael Jackson. Sky's band, The Seeds, was an influential rock band during the 1960's here in Los Angeles...one of Mr. Larry's FAVORITE bands!
On Saturday, I'm having breakfast somewhere in our steamy downtown L.A. with Christine. Later in the afternoon I'll be heading out to cooler Santa Monica for the Fairview Knitters SnB from 3:30-5:30.
Saturday night is special! In fact, this event starts on Friday night. It's the Enchanted Tiki Weekend Blowout at the American Cinematheque! We're skipping the luau dinner in the courtyard of the historic Egyptian Theater, but we'll be at the movies, wearing our Aloha outfits!
Gertrude Berg in TV's "The Goldbergs"
A new documentary is debuting in Los Angeles this weekend, "Yoo Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg." From the L.A. Times: "Yoo-Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg," directed by Aviva Kempner and opening Friday, chronicles the life of seminal writer-actress Gertrude Berg, who created the first sitcom, "The Goldbergs," in 1949. Of course, I've seen clips of this show...it's a hoot. My parents thought it was hilarious. I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary...maybe I'll take Mom.
The Original Farmers Market is still celebrating it's 75th anniversary. There's always live music on the weekends at my favorite place in L.A.
If you feel so inclined to drive down to San Diego, this weekend is Comic-Con.
Maybe I'll run into you around town this weekend?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:47 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

I believe when not working this weekend (no, the store doesn't have AC) I'll be lying on the floor in front of a fan eating ice cream. That's the best I can do!

 
At 7:17 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

We are driving to San Diego this weekend...damn you comicon!

 
At 8:35 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

Just catching up on your blog, I am on vacation, went to Arizona, then Northern California and am now in Central California (Solvang). By the way there is a fabulous fabric store (quilt fabrics) and also a 99 cent fabric store in town. I should have taken photos of the quilt store, but was so mesmerized that I forgot. Sounds like a fun weekend, but I would expect nothing less from you, you know how to live.

 
At 9:03 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your tiki taste! Gertrude Berg leaning out the window is, I think, the earliest TV image I can remember. My parents watched it and I think it reflected their experience in Brooklyn. I hope the film makes the rounds. Have a great weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery