Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Between the Holidays

Joan @ LACMA

I'm lucky to work for a wonderful company that gives us time off between Christmas and the New Year. I've been on vacation since December 24th and don't have to go back to work until January 4th!
I've been keeping myself busy on this winter stay-cation. On Monday, I met up with Joan and we went to the L.A. County Museum of Art. I live just blocks from LACMA, but hardly ever go there! It was a quiet day at the Museum, many of the current exhibits were quite small, but very interesting.
We ventured into "A Tale of Two Persian Carpets". Two humongous carpets, once owned by J. Paul Getty and various other important people, were displayed. They were absolutely beautiful and inspiring to see.
Next, we walked across the Courtyard and checked out "From the Spoon to the City: Objects by Architects from LACMA's collection. Of course, I loved seeing the Eames shelf unit (pictured) and some of Ray Eames' designed fabric. We made our way to the third floor to see Luis Melendez, Master of the Spanish Still Life. The paintings were exquisite....very detailed depictions of Spanish kitchen objects and food from the mid-1700's.
Time for lunch!
We walked across Wilshire Blvd. to the Peterson Automotive Museum. There's Johhny Rockets burger restaurant on the side of the Museum.
We walked back to the Museum and viewed some of the Museum's vast collection of Korean art. It was an enlightening and exhausting afternoon!
Later that evening I met up with Rhoda for our holiday gift exchange and dinner. We had dinner at Jack 'n Jill on Third St., near Robertson in West Hollywood. Yummmm...delicious! Rhoda had a chopped chicken sandwich with carmelized onions and sweet potato fries. I had the jambalaya pasta! I'd only been to Jack 'n Jill for breakfast.....dinner was fab. I'm definitely going to revisit this reasonable restaurant! The place was empty when we arrived at 6:30, but by 8pm, it was hopping.
Yesterday I had to go to the dentist and have two old silver fillings replaced with porcelain. That was an ordeal. I sulked the rest of the afternoon and evening at home.
Today, Wednesday is a new day and everything looks much brighter, even though there's a threat of rain today. Larry and I are leaving soon for a day trip to San Diego and the Mingei International Museum to see "Masters of California Mid-Century Modernism: Evelyn and Jerome Ackerman. I've been wanting to see this exhibit ever since I read about it in the L.A. Times.
Taa Taa for now!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:16 AM PST, Blogger mj said...

Off to San Diego? Lucky you! I've just gotten home from Rosalie's in Sonoma, so I've got to get hopping for our get together on Sunday. See you then!

 
At 9:41 AM PST, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

I love the way you include us on your excursions. Often I think "oh I want to see that" somehow never quite get around to actually going. But getting a glimpse of what I missed is fun.

Happy & Healthy New Year to you and your family.

xxoo
@

 
At 11:32 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I ever make it to L.A. I want you for a tour guide and to go to lunch with at some of these fabulous places you post about! What a fun place you live in.

 
At 6:32 PM PST, Blogger Jean said...

You could really write a book on things to do in LA. The shawls from your previous post looked so nice stacked together for some reason they seem to go together.

 
At 10:40 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Can't wait to hear more about San Diego! New fillings - ugh! It sounds like you made the most of your time off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery