Friday, May 21, 2010

Vintage Photo Friday

Ethel, Mort, Lawrence and George Bloom
Atlantic City, New Jersey, 1920


Next week is Memorial Day, the start of summer for many of us. Vacations, the beach and great weather come to mind.
Above is a photo of my grandparents, my Uncle and my Dad on the beach in Atlantic City, 1920. My Grandma's parents owned a kosher hotel called The Majestic Hotel near the Boardwalk. The family spent a lot of summers in Atlantic City.
I was there in the late 1970's with my Mom and Dad. We walked to the location of the old Majestic Hotel. They were in the process of tearing it down that very day. My Dad climbed up the front porch steps and exclaimed, "When I was a kid, I thought this was the biggest veranda in the world. Now it looks tiny to me."
We call this "kid-vision." Everything seems bigger and grander when you're a kid.
Are you planning a vacation this summer? Where are you going?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:30 PM PDT, Blogger jenna! said...

In June, we're heading to Pittsburgh to visit my grandfather.

And then the week following Labor Day the plan is to head to parts Northwest, Seattle & Portland are currently on the agenda. However, that could change...

 
At 3:03 PM PDT, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

Great picture, though they all look like they're hot - except for your grandmother. Do you have a picture of the hotel?

 
At 4:06 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I wish I had a photo of the hotel, Beth. When I was there in the 70's I should have at least snapped a shot of it. I remember it being an old Victorian, large, similar to the ones near USC and in West Adams.

 
At 5:21 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

That is a great family photo! The straw hat, bow tie, the sailor suits, and the boardwalk really give it a place in time. What a treasure. I wonder if there are some kind of archive photos of the hotel?

 
At 4:40 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

This is such a precious photo.

 
At 4:43 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, ladies. I'm really lucky that Grandma Ethel labeled everything so perfectly and that my Dad preserved her albums!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery