Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oh Pico, My Pico

S/E Corner of Pico Blvd. & Shenandoah Street, L.A.
the sign is there, but the business is long gone

I've lived near Pico Boulevard in Los Angeles most of my life. There have been lots of changes since I was a child. I grew up near Pico and Roxbury Dr. There were small markets, nurseries, a little motel and some post-war apartments. Now, there are high-rises, gated apartment complexes, a religious school and museum.
Later in my life I lived near Pico and Robertson, for years a Jewish cultural center of the City...it still is! The buildings on this stretch of Pico haven't changed so much, but many different businesses have occupied these buildings. A former movie theater is now a synagogue, for example.
Now I live just a few blocks east of Fairfax, near Pico, which also used to be a Jewish center of City. Not so much, anymore. This section is a diverse part of the Boulevard containing Ethiopian, Jewish, Caribbean, East Indian, African-American and even Scandinavian businesses, along with a few hip-gentrified-centric businesses.
I hope to be around to experience even MORE changes along my favorite street. Have you noticed changes in your neighborhood?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:56 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Topanga Plaza went on steroids since I was a kid.

 
At 5:41 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW COFFEE HOUSE?!

www.paperorplastikcafe.com

It looks very chi-chi, upper crusty, okay, SNOBBY, but cool. And if there really is a dance studio upstairs, all the better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery