Friday, November 05, 2010

Hometown Movie Theaters

Warner Bros. Theater, 1935
9404 Wilshire Blvd., BH

It's Vintage Photo Friday! I've been searching the wonderful L.A. Library Photo Archives for vintage Beverly Hills photos. BH is my hometown. I recently attended my high school reunion and picnic and was reminded of what a small town Beverly Hills is. So many of my classmates still live in the area. We have family and neighbor connections and history that date back to Boyle Heights and even to Russia! This had been an interesting and enlightening journey for me back to my roots.
Going to the movies as a kid was always an event. We had lots of movie theaters in BH. I remember the Music Hall, Fine Arts, Warner Bros., Beverly and Canon Theaters, all within the City boundaries. My Mom and aunts grew up in BH too. During the pre-TV years, my Mom told me about how she and her sisters would walk to the movies on Wilshire Boulevard every night during the summer months.

Beverly Theater, 1942,
Beverly Dr., just north of Wilshire Blvd., BH

When I attended the Beverly Theater, it had been remodeled with a 50's-style marquee. I remember seeing "Can-Can" and "GiGi" here. Sadly, this building has been demolished. There are shops and condos on this site now.

Beverly Canon Theater, 1958,
205 No. Canon Dr., BH

The Beverly Canon was a tiny theater. Later, live plays would be performed on it's stage. The building is gone now. In it's place are condos and shops. Progress. Many of the locations of my youth have disappeared. Sigh. The City of Beverly Hills has no historic building preservation policy. Our shared history, BHHS Classmates, remains in our minds, photos and archival footage.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:06 PM PDT, Blogger Pat Saperstein said...

Didn't the Beverly Theater turn into a Fiorucci in the early 80s? That was pretty cool too.

 
At 10:25 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Topanga Theater was my theater growing up. It has been demolished and replaced by a ginormous Crate and Barrel. So Sad. It had the prettiest pink marble bathrooms. So 50s

 
At 8:02 PM PDT, Anonymous George Vreeland Hill said...

Thanks for sharing these photos.
They are a piece of BH history.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery