Friday, May 27, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

1958 Photo courtesy of L.A. Public Library Archives, Herald-Examiner Collection
The Hollywood Memorial Park is now known as Hollywood Forever Cemetery


Memorial Day is a day to remember all the people who have served, and are serving, in the armed forces; our surviving veterans; and to honor those who have died in past wars. There are many observances in and around the Los Angeles area this weekend. Below is a photo of my Dad, George, and his brothers soon after World War II, posing in their uniforms. Thanks, guys!

Mort, Hi and George Bloom, Los Angeles, 1946

Yes, this weekend is the kick-off to summer! Woo Hoo! Thankfully, the weather is mild, not too hot yet. After a moment of silence in honor of our Veterans, I plan on going to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to see the Tim Burton Exhibit. LACMA has changed quite a bit over it's 46 years at the Miracle Mile location. I look forward to exploring the new buildings this weekend.

LACMA, 1965, William Pereira Architectural FirmLACMA, 2010
You can see the original building on the left
Broad Buildling @ LACMA today
LACMA Design History

However you decide to commemorate this holiday weekend, be safe and have a grand time!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:50 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

I am so jealous. I want to hear all about it!

 
At 1:51 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

And your dad was soooooo good lookin'!

 
At 6:35 PM PDT, Blogger MomWaldsPlace said...

Thank you for sharing your memories and your photos!

 
At 8:18 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Morgan said...

I love your blog--imagine that, I'm a retired English teacher and my husband is a retired architect. Thanks for all the wonderful insights on LA architecture and history. I have similar wonderful pictures of my dad and various uncles in WWII uniforms. They deserve the appellation, "the greatest generation". Enjoy your weekend! Jo

 
At 11:05 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Your dad and uncles look so handsome in their uniforms.

 
At 5:03 PM PDT, Blogger mamungt3 said...

I think la architecture will be great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery