Wednesday, October 30, 2013

L.A. - What Could Have Been


Sunday was the last day for the exhibit, "Never Built" at the Architecture and Design Museum on the Miracle Mile.   I'm so glad that we made the effort to see this show.  It was extremely interesting and rather sad.  Although I love Los Angeles, its buildings and its history, what could have been built here would have made for an even MORE amazing cityscape!

There were models of proposed buildings, maps, blueprints, plans and architectural renderings.  There was also a very cool short digital movie that "flew" you through various proposed projects.
Proposed in 1965.  The Causeway.  Santa Monica off-shore freeway, man-made island and a new marina in the SM Bay
Proposed in 1925.  Frank Lloyd Wright's vision of the L.A. Civic Center

Proposed in 1963.  The Goodell Monorail System.  Running almost the same route as today's EXPO line @ 90 mph


All of the exhibits were placed on black linoleum painted like an L.A. city map...probably from the late 1920s or '30s.  It was super fun trying to find our neighborhood and all of my other 'hoods that I've lived in on the linoleum map.  Too bad, my Roxbury Park neighborhood was under a platform and could not be seen. 
Our Wilshire Vista Neighborhood
One of my neighborhoods as a youth

I think I'd like the linoleum in my kitchen painted EXACTLY like this map!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery