Friday, December 26, 2014

Vintage Photo Friday

1965.  Cinerama Dome, Hollywood.  Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection

Boxing Day.  The day after Christmas.  Stores and restaurants are open.  The city is bustling once again.  Larry and I decided to take in a flick.  We drove to Hollywood to see "Birdman" at the ArcLight.  We liked the movie.  It needs to be seen on the big screen without distractions. Yes, it's all about pesky actors, but without actors many of us here in tinsel town would be out of jobs! The performances are excellent!
1963.  "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" opens at the Cinerama Dome. Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection

I always love visiting the Cinerama Dome in front of the ArcLight Theaters.  It's a geodesic dome designed by the architectural firm of Welton Beckett (1963).  The theater was built in  just 16 weeks!  That wacky movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" premiered there. I remember seeing this movie when it came out.  More than the movie, I remember sitting inside the theater and looking up toward the honey-comb, domed ceiling.  After the movie my Dad walked us around the outside of the theater to check it out.  Wow!  I'd never seen a round building up-close before, except for the beautiful Capitol Records building (1956) a couple of blocks away.

Even though the ArcLight complex backs up and almost surrounds the Cinerama Dome, this building is still cool.  It has been preserved and still shows movies...even in cinerama!   The building looks terrific today.  I snapped a few shots.
2014




The Star of My Blog

Have a safe holiday weekend.  Go OUT to the movies.  Movies are your finest entertainment.
1965.  Photo by Howard Kelly.  The Cinerama Dome is just left of center in this aerial photo

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:41 AM PST, Blogger Lizzy Tex Borden said...

Wow, does that ever bring back memories. When I was little, my dad and I took my mom to see It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World at Cinerama for her birthday. After that we went to The Broken Drum on Wilshire Blvd. in Santa Monica to eat. The last movie I saw at Cinerama was The Great Waldo Pepper, so it's been a while...

 
At 8:57 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Lizzy! I remember the Broken Drum in Santa Monica. We used to eat there too as a family. Do you remember the little saying under the name of the restaurant? THE BROKEN DRUM (you can't beat it).
Hahahahaha! Happy Memories!

 
At 12:41 AM PST, Blogger Lizzy Tex Borden said...

Hi Ellen... I sure do remember that. Yes, great memories... So many of your blog entries bring back memories for me... :)

 
At 5:42 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

My grandfather supplied the oak firewood for their ovens. went there many times as a kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery