Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Set in L.A.

I just updated my Goodreads book list. I haven't updated it in a LONG time. I'm not surprised that most of the books on my list take place in Los Angeles. I LOVE reading about Los Angeles, any era. I also like books based on true facts. I recently started the fifth book in Martin Turnbull's series on the Garden of Allah, "Reds in the Beds." Turnbull's novels deal with real facts and locations in and around Hollywood, but star a cast of three fictional characters. I'm obsessed with all of these books!
Here are a few Los Angeles-based books I've read in the past:
Time and Location: 1920s and 1930s, Boyle Heights and beyond

Time and Location: Late 1960s-1980s Hollywood

Time & Location: Current day, Los Angeles from the Beach to DTLA

Time and Location: F. Scott Fitzgerald's Late 1930s, Los Angeles


Time and Location: 1920s-1970s, Los Angeles
Time and Location: 1941, Los Angeles
Time and Location: 1960s, Los Angeles

All of these books are readily available at your local library or via Kindle. I do read books about other locations, but my nickname is L.A. Ell, after all. I feel it is my duty to know everything I can about my fascinating City of Los Angeles! 

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:43 PM PST, Blogger Strickmuse said...

Thank you for the book suggestions. I am sure I will grab one or the other.

 
At 5:08 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the comment, Susanne! Hope you like reading about Los Angeles!

 
At 7:16 AM PST, Blogger Martin Turnbull said...

Hey Ellen, did you enjoy Perfidia? It's on my list, but a number of people have told me it's a tough slog.

 
At 7:42 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I like almost anything James Ellroy writes, Martin, but be ready for super racist language! I found the book fascinating, especially the use of locations and real people. After having read 4-1/2 of your excellent novels, I know you'll appreciate the authenticity of "Perfidia."

Thanks for commenting!

Best,
Ellen B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery